Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Honey Tea Cakes

For me, a good day is when suddenly the need to bake a cake arises and despite having a pantry the size of a typical cupboard and no cake pans, I'm still able to pull together just the thing. And even though Easter is fast approaching and it's still bitter cold outside - what better way to embrace the lingering winter than to fill the house with warm oven air scented with spice.

cookingisawhim.blogspot.com

Honey Tea Cakes
Makes 14 cakes

280 grams all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2/3 cup oil (sunflower)
2/3 cup honey
200 grams sugar
60 grams brown sugar
1 cup warm strong brewed tea (I used 2 chai tea bags)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated lemon or orange peel
ICING:
25 grams honey
14 grams butter, softened
50 grams confectioners' sugar
Pinch salt
2 tablespoons water

Preheat oven to 350°F (176°c) and grease 14 muffin cups. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Make a well in the center and add the remaining cake ingredients. Stir just until well mixed. Pour batter into prepared cups (2/3 full).  I used silicon muffin cups that I have from IKEA and I filled them too far... Live and learn... But all is well.

cookingisawhim.blogspot.com

   Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes back fairly clean and tops spring back when touched. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from cups or pan to cool completely.

cookingisawhim.blogspot.com

   Beings my muffin cups have a lovely fluted design, I wanted to serve them upside down. So, to make flat bottoms, I trimmed off the tops (which also helped my over filling problem..).

   For icing, combine honey and butter; add confectioners' sugar and salt. Beat in just enough water to reach desired consistency. Spoon or pipe over cakes.

cookingisawhim.blogspot.com

   Smacznego!

No comments:

Post a Comment