Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Barley Salad

I mentioned a bit back that I'm beginning to have some success at the butcher counter... And a person can never have too much salmon, right? I was so proud that I purchased a fillet of salmon all by myself and Troy was quite proud of me as well, until he saw the bill... I was so excited that the lady at the counter understood that I wanted salmon that I did not have the heart (or talent at Polish) to tell her that our little family did not need the biggest fillet in the case.. Weighing in around 1-1/2 kilograms and a price tag of 76 zloty, we have still been feasting on it daily.

   To go along with today's lunch portion of salmon, I made this lovely little salad. Prepare the barley the night before and toss with the peas and some of the oil and you'll have a good start for the next morning's lunch packing session. It makes quite a bit, which to me is a good thing as lunch the rest of the week is pretty much already conquered.


Barley Salad
adapted from Skinnyms.

200 grams barley
1-1/2 cups frozen peas
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 lime, halved
1/4 cup walnut oil
8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
Handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
Handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Place barley in a saucepan; cover with about 2 inches of water. Add a good pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until tender. Rinse with cool water; drain and transfer to a large bowl.

   Rinse the peas with hot tap water to thaw; add to the barley. Add the chickpeas, red pepper and onion. Squeeze juice from lime over salad and drizzle with oil; toss. Add the tomatoes and herbs; toss gently. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until serving.


Smacznego!

No comments:

Post a Comment