Wednesday, April 11, 2012

100 Things

 Today, I just have some food thoughts on my mind.. First off, the following picture is from last summer when we came across a hot dog truck at the Miller Brewery. The makings of summer perfection, Miller Valley and a hot and snappy hot dog.

Photo: Jessie Sarrazin Photography

Secondly, for Easter breakfast I whipped up the best waffles that I have ever made and also the best waffles that have ever met my fork. Find them here: Belgian Waffles A couple of my notes, I used 2 teaspoons of sugar instead of 1 which is probably neither here nor there, but just in case you want to achieve my results.. I also tossed sliced strawberries with pure maple syrup to serve with them. Sadly, a rare occurrence in my kitchen, I didn't have any whipped cream on hand. The waffles were still dreamy, but whipped cream would have knocked my socks off.

Thirdly, I still often dream of the below meal. It's a burger that I had in Luzern, Switzerland. The burger was wonderful and I think it cost about $15 U.S. But notice the coolest part, it came with a piles of shoestring fries, beet relish, corn, shredded carrots, a cucumber salad and a lettuce salad. My main item was accompanied by six vegetable items (counting the french fries..). That's just absolutely remarkable so I thought I would share just how remarkable it was.


And fourthly, there is a list going around on facebook that has peaked my interest. The curiosity of culinary adventures is so exciting and trying something new can happen right in your current path. Whenever, the opportunity strikes, take it! While in Boston last week, I stumbled upon my first cluster of food trucks! I've been waiting and waiting for this moment. I did have a food truck cupcake which was super fun. There was also a Banh Mi food truck, regrettably, I did not have one. But was still excited to be in it's presence.

Why didn't I have a Banh Mi, because we were in route to have a Lobster Roll at the Barking Crab. Oh my goodness, I learned that I really, really love lobster Rolls. It cost me $18 (yes, for a sandwich). Plus another $2 for an upgrade to sweet potato fries (which were steak cut and creamy on the inside, yum). But gosh, it was exquisite. Now, on my to-do list, I would like to get a lobster roll at a not so trendy place where the locals eat in the under $10 range, because, like most local joints, I bet that would be super top notch.

And why do I not feel too guilty about passing up a Banh Mi? Because in my everyday life, I'm close to a shop that sells Banh Mi and a visit there is also on my to-do list.

I did mention that this post was called 100 things right? ha But I've been quiet for quite a while lately, and now I have a lot of things to discuss.. Back to the facebook list, I've tried 67 of the items. How about you? I would like to use the below list as a bucket list, but a couple of the remaining items, I have absolutely no interest in.. I was sad to see that brains were not on the list, my great-grandma used to make us pork brains and scrambled eggs for breakfast. My sister and I thought that was the coolest..!

And with that, may the bird of paradise fly up your nose!

1. Abalone
2. Absinthe (Mmm – Great Lakes Distillery)
3. Alligator 
4. Baba Ghanoush
5. Bagel & Lox
6. Baklava
7. BBQ Ribs
8. Bellini
9. Birds Nest Soup
10. Biscuits & Gravy (Whenever I’m missing my sister)
11. Black Pudding (I just tried a nibble..)
12. Black Truffle
13. Borscht
14. Calamari
15. Carp
16. Caviar (Not sure why anyone would voluntarily indulge in this)
17. Cheese Fondue
18. Chicken & Waffles
19. Chicken Tikka Masala
20. Chile Relleno (adore)
21. Chitlins
22. Churros
23. Clam Chowder 
24. Cognac
25. Crab Cakes
26. Crickets (In 7th grade, I won a green cricket sucker for a science competition but never consumed it..)
27. Currywurst (If you haven’t made curry ketchup or tried it, you should)
28. Dandelion Wine
29. Dulce De Leche
30. Durian
31. Eel
32. Eggs Benedict (Breakfast perfection)
33. Fish Tacos (Lucy’s Akumal, Mexico are a must)
34. Foie Gras (Dreamy)
35. Fresh Spring Rolls
36. Fried Catfish
37. Fried Green Tomatoes 
38. Fried Plantain
39. Frito Pie
40. Frogs' Legs
41. Fugu
42. Funnel Cake (My fair favorite)
43. Gazpacho
44. Goat
45. Goat's Milk
46. Goulash
47. Gumbo
48. Haggis
49. Head Cheese
50. Heirloom Tomatoes
51. Honeycomb
52. Hostess Fruit Pie (ohh yeah)
53. Huevos Rancheros (My favorite part of working at the Cantina)
54. Jerk Chicken
55. Kangaroo
56. Key Lime Pie
57. Kobe Beef
58. Lassi
59. Lobster
60. Mimosa 
61. Moon Pie
62. Morel Mushrooms (would love to learn to hunt mushrooms someday)
63. Nettle Tea
64. Octopus
65. Oxtail Soup
66. Paella
67. Paneer
68. Pastrami on Rye
69. Pavlova
70. Phaal
71. Philly Cheese Steak
72. Pho (Highly recommend)
73. Pineapple & Cottage Cheese
74. Pistachio Ice Cream
75. Po' Boy
76. Pocky
77. Polenta
78. Prickly Pear
79. Rabbit Stew (pretty good actually)
80. Raw Oysters
81. Root Beer Float
82. S'mores (my favorite thing ever)
83. Sauerkraut
84. Sea Urchin
85. Shark
86. Snail
87. Snake
88. Soft Shell Crab
89. Som Tam
90. Spaetzle 
91. Spam
92. Squirrel
93. Steak Tartare
94. Sweet Potato Fries
95. Sweetbreads
96. Tom Yum
97. Umeboshi
98. Venison
99. Wasabi Peas
100. Zucchini Flowers

3 comments:

  1. What a fun post to read! I wish our restaurants would include a more variety of vegie salads than the old bag salad. It looks for the main part that the items left on your list shouldn't be eaten anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you said that! (that my remaining items shouldn't be eaten) I was so afraid you'd say, darling, I always mixed crickets into the cookies for a little extra protein.. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had Tina's Peach Oatmeal over the weekend and it was wonderful. It will be on our breakfast table soon. You must try it!!

    ReplyDelete